Your Veggie Platter May Contain Parasites — Check Your Fridge

We’re always trying to add more veggies to our diet, but it seems like every time we do, we’re thwarted by news of yet another outbreak. Usually, we find ourselves cowering in fear of being contaminated by E. coli, listeria or salmonella, but this time, it’s parasites that we need to watch out for. Yeah, parasites.

Del Monte is recalling several sizes of its clear plastic veggie trays containing precut vegetables and dip, a party staple and something we often grab at the store if we’re need of a healthy snack on the go.

The veggie platters had an expiration date of June 17, so hopefully, no one still has them on hand, but many people who ate them are just now realizing their symptoms are because of the Cyclospora parasite — more than 200 people have gotten sick so far, and seven have been hospitalized.

Cyclospora is a parasite that’s usually associated with fecal matter, and when it comes into contact with food, those who consume it can get an intestinal infection called cyclosporiasis. It causes watery diarrhea, explosive bowel movements and gastrointestinal stress. Some reward for trying to eat more veggies, eh?

The veggies in question were sold at Kwik Trip, Kwik Star, Demond’s, Sentry, Potash, Meehan’s, Country Market, FoodMax Supermarket and Peapod. Several Del Monte products have been recalled as a result of the outbreak, including:

  • 6-ounce Del Monte Fresh Produce vegetable tray with a UPC code of 7 1752472715 2
  • 12-ounce Del Monte Fresh Produce vegetable tray with a UPC code of 7 1752472518 9
  • 28-ounce Del Monte Fresh Produce small vegetable tray with a UPC code of 7 1752478604 3

If you still have one of the trays lingering in your fridge, throw it out right away, and if you think you’ve experience any of the symptoms associated with cyclosporiasis, head to a doctor to get checked out.

Oh, yeah, and we’re not saying that vegetables are bad for you… but maybe don’t feel so guilty the next time you reach for a bag of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos instead of baby carrots. We’re pretty sure almost no living thing could survive in those long enough to pass an infection to humans.

Source: Read Full Article