Mum Warns Of Dangers Of Mini Eggs After Daughter Chokes

A mum has shared her anguish after her five-year-old daughter choked on a Cadbury Mini Egg and sadly passed away.

Taking to parenting blog, she warned other parents to be aware of the possible dangers of giving young children the treats.

“With Easter coming up I want to warn you all about another deadly choking hazard, one that tragically took away my child,” she wrote.

“It has been just short of three years since my precious little girl Sophie passed away she had choked on a mini egg and I was unable to dislodge it.”

In an effort to remove the chocolate from her daughter’s windpipe, she tried slapping her on the back and “pushing up and under her ribs,” but to no avail.

“I had done a first aid course only six months prior to this event so all the techniques to help a choking child were still fresh in my mind,” she explained. “But it didn’t help.” 

“I watched the light slip away from my baby’s eyes, I tried in vain to save her… This seemingly harmless treat took my angel away.”

The mum – who posted under the username ‘XGemx,’ added: “If your children enjoy these chocolate treats please watch them extra close and remind them to sit down whilst eating them or avoid them altogether.” 

Many parents were quick to comment on the post, with some adding that their children had had similar experiences with the popular product.

“My twin girls are 14 years old now,” one mum wrote. “When they were five one of them had choked on a mini egg and for years after I could not let her have them. When I finally did they were cut in half and closely supervised. I’ve never forgotten it and even today when she has them I still have to remind her what happened all those years ago. So sorry for your loss.”

Another added: “This happened to my son at around 4 years old. Fortunately, I managed to get it out with the Heimlich manoeuvre as the back-slapping wasn’t working.”

“I remember his lips were turning blue. It was one of the scariest moments of my life.”

Although the product’s packaging does come with a choking warning, Cadbury has issued a statement in response to the woman’s claim:

We were saddened by this tragic event as the safety of our customers is of the upmost importance to us. We ensure that all of our Cadbury Mini Eggs packaging very clearly carries the following warning: ‘Choking Hazard: This product is not suitable for children under 4.’”

Source: Read Full Article